Every student looking to pursue an education overseas is aware of STEM courses, which are among the top courses students seek due to their scope, career progression opportunities and employability. But, what are STEM courses? STEM courses include all subjects that fall under the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, which help students progress to high-demand careers.
These courses create a foundation for a tech-driven, innovative and well-developed future by creating scientists, technological experts, analysts, programmers, mathematicians and more.
Through this blog, we will learn more about STEM courses, how one can be eligible for them, and the top universities to pursue your STEM course studies overseas.
How does one begin?
Many factors exist when deciding if a STEM course is the right path for a student. A natural curiosity for the field of study is a huge advantage, along with an interest in analytical writing and critical evaluation. Students who wish to apply to a STEM course must also have studied physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology in their high school years. A student who meets these criteria can apply for a STEM course anywhere in the world.
To be eligible for a STEM course, high school students must aim to keep their grades high even while participating in extracurricular activities. These efforts will help to develop the necessary leadership and communication skills and give students a head start on a STEM course.
There are a wide range of majors that students can enrol for when pursuing a STEM course. Within each of these individual categories, there are numerous branches of study that can lead to various career paths. Here are some of them:
- Computer Science
- Earth Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Information Technology
Over the last 20 years, STEM majors have changed drastically, with the constantly evolving teaching methods and the way students use technology to push the boundaries of what is possible.
Which college is best for me?
As a student, STEM courses are on offer in every major destination country all over the world. However, America has some of the finest institutes that offer STEM courses. The United Kingdom and Australia also follow closely behind and here are some of the top universities that offer STEM courses all over the world:
- Princeton University: Ranked #1 in America by US News and founded in 1746, Princeton offers students a chance to learn STEM courses from some of the finest educators in the world.
- Stanford University: Another top university in America, Stanford has been home to some of the brightest minds in the past two decades. Founded in 1885, students can look forward to a world-class education in the STEM fields.
- University of Cambridge: The fourth-oldest university in the world, Cambridge, located in UK, is home to over 24,000 students and employs over 12,000 staff to impart a world-class education in the STEM fields.
- Imperial College of London: Ranked among the top ten universities in the world, with an international reputation for excellence in research, Imperial College of London is a destination for students looking to pursue their STEM courses.
- University of Sydney: Among the finest universities in Australia, the University of Sydney boasts of world-class research labs, allowing students to get hands-on education which is the most practical approach.
- La Trobe University: Studying at La Trobe University in Australia sets you up for next generation career choices such as machine learning, robotics, cloud computing and more. Internationally renowned scientists also form part of the STEM faculty, allowing students to stay up to date with the industry of their choosing while learning from the best.
- Tiffin University: Among the finest institutes in America, Tiffin University offers STEM courses across disciplines that allow students to learn from world-class faculty while also giving them the ability to stay in touch with industry movements and evolution at the same time.
- Auburn University: Offering students the chance to study biomedical sciences, engineering, healthcare and more, Auburn University is home to some of the leading STEM disciplines. Students from all over the world choose to study at Auburn University thanks to its diversity of departments as well as renowned curriculum.
If you are confused about which university and STEM course to choose and how to seek admission seamlessly, you can contact expert consultants at The WorldGrad, the smartest way to study overseas. When you apply through the WorldGrad, you can choose from a wide range of STEM courses offered through accelerated programs leading to top-ranking universities in Australia, the UK, the US or the UAE.
The skill sets acquired by students who choose to pursue a STEM course make them highly attractive in the hiring arena. Students develop analytical skills that help them make crucial business decisions, leading to a real impact for their employers.
While STEM is a rigorous choice for a student, with a lot of work needed to earn the degree, there are rewards too. Students with STEM courses command higher wages, with an accelerated career growth chart in relation to those who did not pursue STEM courses.