English is often hailed as the global language of communication. With this reputation, it has slowly metamorphosed into an indispensable skill in today’s interconnected world.
For many Singaporeans who want to grasp its nuances, the journey usually begins within the confines of an English school in Singapore. These classes bridge the gap between you (the student) and linguistic mystery.
In this guide, we take you through what to expect in an English class. We’ll also explain what you should be doing to propel you towards English proficiency. So read this guide to the end!
What are you supposed to Learn in English Class?
In well-structured programs, English classes are designed to provide learners with a comprehensive learning experience. They’re also designed to equip learners with the necessary tools to navigate the intricacies of this global language proficiently. That said, here are the five important things you’re supposed to learn in an English class:
- Vocabulary: To begin with, vocabulary lies at the heart of any language, and English is no exception. In English class, you will dive into the fascinating world of words, expanding your vocabulary repertoire. From basic nouns, verbs, and adjectives to more intricate idiomatic expressions and collocations, you will learn how to effectively connect words to express your thoughts, feelings, and ideas with precision.
- Grammar: This is often seen as the backbone of any language and will be a focal point in your English class. You will learn about the rules and structures that govern English sentences. Through a systematic approach, you will learn about tenses, sentence formation, subject-verb agreement, and other grammatical concepts that lay the foundation for effective communication. As you progress, you will gain confidence in constructing grammatically correct sentences and conveying your intended meaning clearly.
- Pronunciation: Pronunciation is another critical aspect taught in English classes. Here, you will learn how to articulate sounds, master intonation patterns, and understand the rhythm of spoken English. Focusing on phonetics and phonology will help refine your ability to speak English fluently and ensure that your words are understood and that your accent does not hinder effective communication.
- Listening and Reading: Listening and reading skills are essential for anyone who wants to understand and easily comprehend English in different contexts. In a typical well-structured English class, you will engage in activities that train your ears to decipher spoken English, capture the nuances of tone, intonation, and pronunciation. And what’s more, you will immerse yourself in a diverse range of reading materials, ranging from articles to short stories, novels, etc., enabling you to enhance your vocabulary, grasp sentence structures, and develop your overall language proficiency.
- Writing and Speaking Skills: These skills form the pinnacle of English language mastery. In an English class, you will hone your ability to express yourself eloquently through writing. You will learn different writing styles, from essays to reports and creative pieces, and develop the skills needed to organize your thoughts coherently and present them persuasively.
Beyond the core components of vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, listening, reading, writing, and speaking, a well-structured English class also offers a cultural lens. You will explore the rich tapestry of English-speaking cultures and gain insights into customs, traditions, as well as societal nuances. This cultural understanding will enhance your language proficiency by providing context and depth to your communication.
What you are Expected to do in an English Class as a Student
If you’re preparing to attend an English class for the first time, the question of what you’re supposed to do can be both exciting and daunting. It shouldn’t be stressful, though.
As a student, you’re expected to actively participate and engage in activities that foster language learning and skill development. Here’s a quick roundup of the basics your instructor will want or rather expect you to do in an English class:
- Attending Classes: We get it; this may sound generic, but still worth a mention! Consistent attendance ensures that you receive the full benefit of the curriculum. It also enables you to actively participate in classroom discussions, group activities, and language exercises. Attending classes punctually also demonstrates your commitment to learning and respect for your instructor and classmates.
- Active Participation: This is highly encouraged in an English class. Engage in discussions, ask questions, and contribute to group activities. Actively listening to others and respectfully sharing your thoughts enhances your understanding of the language and provides valuable opportunities to practice speaking and listening skills. Embrace the chance to express your ideas, which fosters confidence and fluency in English.
- Completing Assigned Readings and Homework: This is another vital expectation. Reading materials assigned by your instructor exposes you to a range of topics, styles, and vocabulary. So, please take the time to read actively and highlight unfamiliar words and phrases. Also, make an effort to comprehend the overall message. Completing homework assignments reinforces what you have learned in class and allows you to practice specific language skills, such as writing or grammar exercises.
- Collaborate: Collaboration and teamwork are strongly emphasized in English classes. Be sure to engage in group work, pair activities, or language games to practice communication skills and learn from your peers. Collaborating with classmates will enhance your understanding of the language and allow you to experience different perspectives and cultures.
- Practice: Finally, self-study and practice outside of class are vital for your success in an English class. Dedicate time to review and reinforce what you have learned. Use online resources, language apps, or practice exercises recommended by your instructor to further enhance your language skills.
English classes act as transformative gateways that offer a wealth of opportunities for growth, cultural understanding, and effective communication. So do not take your English classes lightly, as the skills and knowledge you will gain here go far beyond the classroom and empowers you to thrive in a globalized society and pursue your aspirations with confidence.
At the Lingo School of Knowledge, we’re committed to providing high-quality English education tailored to the needs of every learner. So, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a beginner or just looking to advance your English proficiency. Our curriculum and interactive learning method are designed to ensure an immersive and rewarding learning experience. Get in touch with us now to learn more and unlock a world of possibilities through language.
The Lingo School of Knowledge Pte Ltd
87 Beach Road,
#03-01 Chye Sing Building,